Drs. Busletta, Mah and Phelps of Langley Obstetrics and Gynecology were honoured with a 2013 Heritage Conservation Award by the Langley Heritage Society. The development of their new medical clinic included the saving and restoration of a heritage building, the Rod Cummings residence.
Rod Cummings with his wife, Flora (2nd from right) c.1915
A native of Prince Edward Island, Rodrick Cummings arrived in Vancouver in 1886 and married Flora Matheson, and then took up homesteading in South Langley in 1888. He subsequently began slaughtering hogs and cattle to supply district logging camps and opened a butcher shop. Their son was Daniel Cummings.
The Rod Cummings house with restoration work almost complete
The Cummings residence was constructed before 1915 on Old Yale Road at Murray’s Corners. Several major alterations were made to the house over the years including the enclosure of the front porch and additions to three sides. In 2011, the additions and the north elevation were destroyed by fire. The smoke and water damage from the fire caused a considerable loss of original exterior materials.
The rendering of the proposed medical clinic with Cummings house on left
As part of an overall redevelopment of the site for the medical clinic, the house was restored to its original appearance and includes the open front porch, replacement of the wood doors and windows, and restoration of exterior materials.
A single storey addition of 3,000 sq ft has been added
The house maintains its original relationship to Old Yale Road and will now be used for the waiting room, library and meeting rooms for the medical clinic. The one-storey addition has been designed to complement but not exactly replicate the heritage house.
The Rod Cummings house at the Murrayville Five Corners
The Rod Cummings residence has found a new life as part of a medical clinic